The Foodie Files

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Schiklosch

I recently sent off a cookie care package to a few friends and turned to the blogs to find out which cookies could withstand the travel. I decided to make this recipe from Cooking with the Headhunter. Schiklosch are one of Sarah's family recipes that received a good review from her cookie swap partner, She Bakes and She Cooks. The cookies have a buttery crust that is similar to shortbread and are topped with nuts, cinnamon, and cloves. I cut back on the sugar a little in mine, allowing the cloves to bring a cool savory edge to the flavor.




Mine did not come out quite as neat as the ones that CWTH sent out, possibly due to the fact that my cookie dough did not bake up against the rim of the pan. I was unable to keep the delicious topping on top of the cookies, and various family members swooped in and ate up any topping that had been fallen off, resulting in a few leftover bases. I decided to wrap every cookie I sent individually in order to preserve freshness, and the wrapping also kept the topping on top, so all's well that ends well.


I do not know exactly how they turned out at the other end of the line, but warm out of the oven they were terrific, unusual, and as The Baker who Cookes said – addicting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home