The Foodie Files

Friday, October 27, 2006

Sugar High Friday - Coconut Madelines

After such a fun SHF last month, I could not wait to participate in this month's theme: Petits Fours. At first I was a little unsure of what kind of dessert would qualify, but when I flipped through my recipe binder I discovered something that just seemed right: Coconut Madelines. They are very elegant, as petits fours inherently are, and are certainly "little bits of delight" -- the kind of treat a nice restaurant would serve with the bill. This recipe is Ina Garten's, and since her new book "Barefoot Contessa at Home" came out this week, these madelines are also a small tribute to her.


Sometimes the madelines sold at coffee shops are bland, stale, and generally not very alluring, but these madelines are moist and have a homemade taste. They are a little on the sweet side, but they still might benefit from a little dip in semi-sweet chocolate (you know, if that's something you can't resist doing :) ) The coconut flavor isn't very pronounced, but the shredded coconut adds a little texture.
Be careful not to overbake them -- they will brown on the side you can't see. My madelines came out distinctly darker on one side, leading to an interesting two-tone effect that I want to avoid next time.

Thanks to CookSister for hosting, and to SHF for getting me to purchase my new madeline pans!

2 Comments:

  • Nothing like a good excuse to purchase a new piece of kitchen kit ;-) And what better excuse can there be than SHF? These look gorgeous and I like the idea of adding coconut (and I vote for the choc-dipping too!) Thanks for participating :-)

    By Blogger Jeanne, at 2:22 PM  

  • My 2 loves: madeleines and coconut! Thanks for sharing a new recipe! I am looking forward to making these soon!

    By Blogger Helene, at 6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home